Saturday, October 20, 2012

{Homemade is Better} - Dried Apples and Apple Chips

Apple Fest continues!  And why shouldn't it.  Apples and fall go together like peanut butter and jelly {or something like that}.

Growing up, my mom had a dehydrator and she made all kinds of great things but I think our family favorite was probably the dried apples {but the fruit leather was right behind it}.  I wish I had a dehydrator but turns out you don't really need one in order to make yummy dried apples and apple chips.  All you need is apples and an oven.  How easy and healthy is that?

Peel, or don't peel - I did both - your apples.  Slice them to your desired thickness.  I used a mandoline.  For apple chips I made 1/8" slices and the dried apples 3/16" slices.  Put the apples on a cooling rack set on a cookie sheet and place in 250 degree (F) oven and forget about them.  Okay, so don't really forget about them.  I didn't pay close attention to the time but it was between 1-2 hours.  It really depends on your oven, the thickness of the slices, and what you want - is it crispy chips or chewy apple slices.  It's really up to you.  And when they are done you have some healthy snacks.


{Why is homemade better?}  Compare to the ingredients in Target brand Dried Apples

 

Seneca Original Crispy Apple Chips


Of course, you can jazz up your apple slices as well.  Which is what I did thanks to some ideas I found on the internet.

  1. Cinnamon Apple Chips
  2. Strawberry Apple Chips
  3. Caramel Apple Chips
  4. Maple Walnut Apple Chips
These dried apples and apple chips would not have been possible without the inspiration from these great recipes:


Be sure to check them all out!








2 comments:

  1. Hi! Your post was featured in this week's Eat Make Grow link party. Congrats, and thanks for linking up! http://www.hideousdreadfulstinky.com/2012/11/eat-make-grow-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again, Lynn! I would love to feature this project on Disney's Spoonful.com as a healthy snack to take to the park. Please email me at sadsilver@gmail.com and let me know if that's okay, and I can give you the full details. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete