Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sweet Corn and Quinoa

{Farmers Market}
I love sweet corn season.


Remember when you were a kid and you told your friend you loved something and they would respond by saying you should marry said thing?  Well, I am going to marry fresh sweet corn.


Sweet corn season brings back fond childhood memories for me.  I remember sitting on the front step husking the corn {from our own garden} with my mom, soaking up the hot evening sun and tossing the husks into the silver bushel basket nearby.


Last weekend, I made this sweet corn and quinoa with honey lemon vinaigrette from Iowa Girl Eats for lunch.  It combined an old favorite, sweet corn {fresh from the farmers market} with something I had never tried before, quinoa {it reminds me of couscous}.




Other than my minor boo-boo of being too heavy handed with the lemon juice, I loved this dish.  Don't be intimidated if you have never made quinoa - it is like making rice or couscous.  {Be careful when measuring the quinoa so you don't spill.  Those little guys get away fast and can make a big mess.  Not that that happened to me.  wink wink}  Simple and easy ingredients in this dish pack a healthy and delicious punch.




I enjoyed this dish with some other fresh favorites from the farmers market - blueberries and cucumbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment