Saturday, April 21, 2012

Flower Photo Block Quilt

Ah, springtime!  Don't you just love it?


April showers bring May flowers.  Or was it March showers and April flowers this year?  Here is a flower related project I made last year.  I made it for my mom for Christmas.




My inspiration was her flower gardens.  I love taking photographs of the beautiful flowers she has.  {Frankly, it's a bit of an obsession.}  


I printed 42 of my original photographs on fabric sheets for ink jet printers.  {I got them at JoAnn's.}  The hardest part was picking out fabric that would compliment and not overwhelm the photos.  



After piecing the quilt I took it to a local quilter to be quilted.  I picked out butterflies for the quilting pattern.  Since I didn't have enough great photos, each row had one green print block.  I had a flower quilted on those blocks.  {The quilting was good but not great.  I won't have her do it again.  I've used someone else in the past who did a great job and I'll be using him again.}

My mom loved it.  What do you think?


2 comments: